Raman Research Institute, Bangalore

The Raman Research Institute was founded by Nobel laureate Sir C.V.Raman in 1948 with funds from private sources. The main activity of the institute was basic research in selected areas of physics which were of particular interest to Prof. Raman. The institute owes its origin to action of government of Mysore in gifting to the Indian Academy of Sciences a plot of land in Bangalore in December 1934. In the year 1956, Prof. Raman made an irrevocable gift to the Indian Academy of Sciences, of various movable and immovable properties for the use and the benefit of the Raman Research Institute.
After Prof. Raman's death in November, 1970, The Indian Academy of Sciences created in July 1971 a public charitable educational trust by the name Raman Research Institute Trust (RRI Trust). The Academy transferred to the trust the lands, buildings, deposits, securities, bank deposits, moneys, laboratories, instruments and other movable and immovable properties held by it for the purpose of RRI. One of the main objectives of the RRI Trust is principally to maintain, conduct and sustain the Raman Research Institute.
The institute was reorganized in 1972 and started receiving funds from the Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India. The institute is administered by a Governing Council.
Currently, the main areas of research are Astronomy and Astrophysics, Liquid Crystals, Theoretical Physics and Optics.

For more information contact:

The Director
Raman Research Institute
C. V. Raman Avenue, Sadashivanagar,
Bangalore - 560 080 INDIA.
Phone: 91-080-2361 0122 to 2361 0129 (8 lines)
Fax: 91-80-2361 0492
E-mail: root at rri dot res dot in
Website:Visit Raman Research Institute