The origin of the National Atlas Organisation dates back to the year 1956 when Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru approved its establishment. Professor S.P. Chatterjee, the doyen of Indian Geography, was the founder-Director of this Organisation. It was renamed as the NATMO National Atlas and Thematic Mapping Organisation (NATMO) in 1978 to give institution a broad based responsibility in the field of thematic cartography and geographical research. It is under the administrative control of the Department of Science &Technology of the Government of India. The main office or the headquarters is in the CGO building in Salt Lake (Bidhan Nagar), Calcutta.
The first National Atlas of India in Hindi popularly known as Bharat: Rastriya Atlas having a 26 multi-colour maps with a scale of 1:5 million portraying a comprehensive physical and socio-cultural structure of the country was published in 1957 and was acclaimed the world over as a unique publication. Apart from the above project the organization has taken up various projects either from the outside agencies or on its own.
It has approximately 75 officers and 387 staff members of different categories, viz. scientific, technical and administrative officials. A large number of highly qualified professional geographers, perhaps the largest number under one roof anywhere in the world exist in this organization. It also employs qualified statisticians, geologists, cartographers and printing professionals.
- Compilation of the National Atlas of India
- Preparation of the National Atlas maps in regional languages
- Preparation of thematic maps based on research studies on environmental and associated aspects and their impact on social and economic development
- Any other work entrusted by the Central Government or its agencies to NATMO
- Installation of automated Mapping System for increasing speed and efficiency in mapping
- Division of Digital mapping System &Digitized and Scanning of existing maps on digital format
- Geographical Researches
- Remote Sensing &GIS, Digital Image processing
- Division on Cartography for the Visually Impaired
- Capacity and Infrastructure building of NATMO to convert / to upgrade in digital mode
Expression of Interest208.43 KB
Draft Recruitment Rules for comments from Stakeholders
Draft Recruitment Rules for the following Group A posts in National Atlas & Thematic Mapping Organisation, a subordinate office under the Department of Science and Technology are attached herewith for perusal of all concerned. Comments of stakeholders, if any, may please be sent to this Department on or before 10.12.2017 at the address SMP Division, Department of Science and Technology, Technology Bhawan, New Delhi:
For more information Contact :
The Director, National Atlas&Thematic Mapping Organisation
Govt. of India, (Deptt. Of Science &Technology),
C.G.O. Complex, (7th Floor), DF Block,
Salt Lake City, Calcutta - 700 064
Phone: 91-33-23343699, 23346331, 23345006, 23346459.