The Indian Institute of Astrophysics traces its origin to the Madras Observatory, started in 1786, and moved to Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu, in 1899. Later renamed as the Kodaikanal Observatory, it has been functioning as a full-fledged solar and stellar observatory. In its present form, the Indian Institute of Astrophysics was set up in 1971 as an autonomous research institution to conduct research in Astronomy, Astrophysics, and allied areas of Physics. The institute is funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. The main campus is located in Koramangala, in the south-eastern part of the city of Bangalore and its field stations are at Kodaikanal, Kavalur, Gauribidanur , Hanle and Hosakote.
For more information contact:
Indian Institute of Astrophysics
II BLOCK, KORAMANGALA, BANGALORE 560 034,INDIA
E-mail: webmaster at iiap dot res dot in