This scheme is focused on women as specific target group.
To promote research, development and adaptation of technology to improve the quality of life, workings conditions for women.
To provide newer opportunities for gainful employment of women especially in rural areas
To increase the contribution of women scientists to technology based development
The following priority areas have been identified under the scheme:
Specific science and technology application program to solve the problems of women in different regions such as hill, coastal and arid;
Research and development on post-harvest technology and agricultural implements used by women to improve productivity and reduce drudgery;
Improved practices for occupational health and enhanced production in technology areas where women form a majority of the stake holders sericulture, aquaculture, etc;
Research, development and demonstration program to minimize occupational hazards of women in domestic, agricultural and organized and non-organized industries;
Design, fabrication and improvement of equipment, accessories, tools and machineries used by women in different occupations in formal and non-formal sectors;
Up-gradation of traditional skills for utilization of available local resources and providing means for women to enter into the organized sector or for starting entrepreneurial production or service units.
Enhancing capability of women in modern industries particularly in electrical and electronic technologies;
Women's Health issues: - Nutrition, non communicable diseases, prevention strategies for communicable diseases; and
- Selective studies on issues concerning women scientists and engineers
The following points are specifically assessed in proposals for women: -
- Strategies for linking gender issues and appropriate technology adoption.
- Replicability potential of the project.
- Stakeholders participation in formulating the proposal.
Other Gender Related Schemes/Award of SEED Programme:
1. Fellowship Scheme for Women Scientists (WOS-B) for R&D and S&T Based Societal Interventions: This fellowship provides an opportunity for women scientists to re-enter into active research after a career break. The fellowship is available for carrying out innovative R&D having societal impact.
2. National Award for Women’s Development through Application of Science and Technology: This award has been instituted to recognize the contributions of individuals/institutions who have worked at the grass root level for women’s development through application of science and technology. Applications are invited once a year.